On the first Sunday of October Friends around the world celebrate World Quaker Day.
What is World Quaker Day?
Each year, we ask Friends to imagine the sun rising, starting in the Pacific and proceeding hour by hour through every time zone, shining on Friends coming together in worship, connecting us across the expanse of a day. We also say – imagine our family of Friends, in the unity of God’s loving spirit, bringing each other into our collective awareness. Imagine this loving presence hugging the world, healing the world, loving the world — through our collective spirit-filled lives.
It is a chance for Quakers to remember that Quakers are worshiping through every time zone, celebrating our deep connections across cultures and Quaker traditions. We are united in love and can accompany each other on this special day that draws us together.’ As we worship, we can hold each other in prayer and thanksgiving, and let our hymns of praise resound across the world. It is a chance to celebrate our wonderful diversity of expression, whilst at the same time offering an important opportunity to learn about Friends’ experiences of climate breakdown in other parts of the world.
- Find the next date of World Quaker Day and put it in your calendar.
- Inform your church or meeting about the purpose of World Quaker Day.
- Choose from the worship resources provided and/or consider doing another activity. Be creative.
- After the event, tell others what you have done — write it up or take a video of your meeting or church on that day. Then send it to us..
- Check back on the World Quaker Day web site to see what other Friends around the world have done.
Our 2022 World Quaker Day will be held on Sunday 2nd October. The theme: Becoming the Quakers the World Needs.