Friends worldwide are urgently concerned with the human impacts of the climate crisis. We use the term sustainability, defined in the broadest sense, to include concerns around climate breakdown, peace, economic and climate justice, human rights and depletion of natural resources.
Earthcare unites traditional Quaker testimonies: peace, equality, simplicity, integrity, and justice. It is consistent with our understanding of Jesus’ teachings. It is rooted in the lived experience of our global community, many of whom have described in Quaker gatherings and elsewhere, what it is like to live through increasingly frequent extreme weather events, as well as worsening violent conflict.
Collectively these experiences inform the ‘Kabarak Call’ agreed at the global gathering of Friends in Kenya in 2012, in which Friends affirm our commitment to be “patterns and examples in a 21st century campaign for peace and ecojustice, as difficult and decisive as the 18th and 19th century drive to abolish slavery.”
The programme gathers stories of Friends’ experiences of the climate crisis and Quaker climate witness across the globe, and it has brought Friends together across different Quaker branches, encouraging us to find shared language on the climate.
FWCC recognises that our work in every part of the world is affected by a racial inequality and we are committed to engaging Quakers and examining the issue of sustainability alongside issues of privilege and racism.
- Supporting Friends around the world taking climate action at the local level to protect God’s creation
- Representing Quakers in a number of global interfaith efforts and supporting faith dialogue with governments on climate ambition
- Participating at the UN climate negotiations alongside the Quaker United Nations Office
- Convening the Global Quaker Sustainability Network to encourage collaboration between Quaker agencies on issues of sustainability and environmental justice
- Nurturing networks of Young Friends around the world engaged in climate action, peace and justice work
FWCC Sustainability TimeLine
Please visit our resources for case studies, videos and other materials you can use to get involved.