Use these resources to strengthen the collective Quaker voice on sustainability. Support the climate movement by downloading and sharing these videos, posters, case studies and other materials. If you have any resources you would like to share with Friends worldwide, please email us.
Quaker case studies: Sustainability in Action
Learn how Quaker meetings and churches around the world are responding to the climate crisis. If you would like to share your story as a case study, please contact us.
- Rwanda Yearly Meeting
- Friends Theological College, Kenya
- New England Yearly Meeting
- Friends International Bilingual Center, Bolivia
- Baltimore Yearly Meeting
- Iowa Yearly Meeting (Conservative)
- Friends Center, Philadelphia
- Monteverde Friends School, Costa Rica
- Friends House, London
- Ireland Yearly Meeting
- Switzerland Yearly Meeting
- Europe and Middle East Young Friends (EMEYF)
Personal testimonies: Facing the Challenge of Climate Change as Friends
Read personal stories about the climate witness of Friends:
- Rob Levin, New England Yearly Meeting
- Geylord Asimba, Nairobi Yearly Meeting
- Ludwig Bon Quirog, Bohol Worship Group
- Beverly Ward, Southeastern Yearly Meeting
These videos can be used to support Quaker work for earth justice at the local level. We encourage you to watch the videos with others in your meeting or church, followed by a structured sharing session, to discern how the Spirit is inviting you to act in response to the multiple interlocking ecological issues affecting creation.
Do you want to record your story as a video? If so, please contact us.
- Quakers and Climate Change Around the World – three Friends share their experiences of climate change and how their Quaker faith inspires them to take action
- Quakers Coming Together to Care for the Earth – Friends from across theological traditions in North America join together to share their personal testimonies on environmental justice, earthcare and stewardship. Download suggested guidelines for discussing the video in your meeting or church here.
- Webinar: Quakers Coming Together to Care for the Earth (29 July 2019) – during this international webinar hosted by FWCC, hear from Adrian Halverstadt, Director of Evangelical Friends Church – North America, and Lindsey Fielder Cook, Representative for Climate Change at the Quaker United Nations Office, Geneva.
- Educational Video – Jim and Tim go Green to Save the World (English version) – an educational video aimed children to explain where the fossil fuels come from and the impact of burning them. The videos were created by two Quakers living in the UK and are aimed at people living in the global north.
- Jim and Tim go Green to Save the World – Educational Video (in Spanish)
- Quakers: The Spiritual Journey of Earthcare – Irish Quakers talk about the spiritual challenges around sustainability, where they find joy in the sustainability journey and what their one wish for change in Ireland would be in relation to sustainability (EcoQuakers Ireland, July 2018)
- How Do Quakers Approach Sustainability Work (QuakerSpeak, 2016)
- A Quaker Take: On Climate Change – In this episode, Quakers in Britain talk to Susanna Mattingly from Friends Worlds Committee for Consultation about the role of Quakers in the wider climate movement and what Quaker action to tackle climate breakdown looks like in different parts of the world.
- Top tips for reducing consumption (Infographic aimed at Global North lifestyles)
- Every Action Matters
- The Kabarak Call for Peace and Ecojustice
- Quakers and climate change
Quaker and other spiritual resources
- Quaker Input to the Talanoa Dialogue (Quaker Earthcare Witness and Friends World Committee for Consultation, April 2018)
- One-page summary: Quaker Input to the Talanoa Dialogue (Quaker Earthcare Witness and Friends World Committee for Consultation, April 2018)
- A Government Official’s Toolkit: Inspiring urgent climate action (Quaker United Nations Office, 2018)
- A Negotiator’s Toolkit: Engaging busy Ministries with concise arguments for urgent climate action (Quaker United Nations Office, 2018, second edition)
- Human Rights Based Approaches to Climate Action (Quaker United Nations Office, 2019)
- Q&A with Quaker United Nations Office Representative on Food and Sustainability
- Where Heaven and Earth are One – A Quaker’s Understanding of Earthcare (Gerard Guiton, 2019)
- Walk on Earth Gently: A Multi-Faith invitation to Sustainable Lifestyles
- 2011 Swarthmore Lecture: Costing not less than everything: sustainability and spirituality in challenging times – Pam Lunn
- Laudato Si: Pope Francis’ Encyclical on Climate Change
- Call to Conscience: Quaker experiences in facing the challenge of climate change (Quaker United Nations Office, 2014)
- Talking about Climate Change: A Practical Guide (Quaker Earthcare Witness, 2017)
- Talking about Climate Change: A Call for Dialogue (Quaker Earthcare Witness, 2017)
- Connected to creation: Addressing the spiritual roots of climate change (American Friends Service Committee, 2013)
- Global Action for Climate Change: how Friends World Committee for Consultation involves us all (The Australian Friend, June 2019)
- Faithful Action on Climate Change (Friends Journal, 2019)
- Can veganism be part of a Quaker approach to climate change? (Rajan Naidu, Quakers and Climate Change Worldwide, May 2019)
- Five things the ordinary person can do to help the environment (Féidhlim Harty, The Friendly Word, November 2018)
- Press Release: Quakers call for bold national climate policy (Britain Yearly Meeting, October 2018)
- Sustainability Literacy for Friends (Louise Salinas, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, September 2018)
- Being Vegetarian is a Climate Issue (£) (Friends Journal, 2018)
- Quakers and Climate Change (Spark, March 2018)
- Healthy Planet, Healthy People: Reconciling Global Rules to Promote Food-secure Farming (Spark, March 2018)
- Lives in the balance: climate change and the Marshall Islands – The Guardian, 2016
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Ozone Heroes – a comic designed to engage youth on the issue of climate change
- Environment, Religion and Culture in the Context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – United Nations Environment Programme, 2016
- UNFCCC Glossary of Climate Change Terms